[Typo3-dev] New Extension: to be released or not

Andreas Beutel Andreas.Beutel at kisd.de
Wed Sep 3 23:47:53 CEST 2003

Hi Developers,

I'm somehow unsure with the release of a Typo3 extension we've developed, so
I would like to ask you on your opinion.

The extension is a backend module for admin users only (and ist operable on
UNIX only). It provides a web-based shell for Typo.

Shell access is for example needed when you want to upload tar files and
untar them on the server so they are all owned by the user running the web
server process, on some systems you can also check logfiles an so on.

Of course this reveals security problems on some installations. On the one
hand I think it's up to the server admin to keep the machine secure, on the
other hand it could be bad for Typo3 to have such a tool as an easy to
install module (and maybe some providers will stopp php-shell-exec support).
Of yourse one can code that easily in 10 minutes and upload it as a normal
PHP Script.

What do you think? Should we release it to the public or should keep it
"members only"?

All the best
Andreas