[Typo3-dev] building a content (article) base supporting dublin core metadata

Christian Rasmussen cr at iprod.auc.dk
Wed Sep 3 09:09:27 CEST 2003

Hi list,

I've been using Typo3 for about three months
now, and I've come to love it! (thank-you
everyone for creating all these nice features.
By time, I hope to give something back :-))

We are using Typo3 to build a knowledge
management system at Aalborg University,
Denmark. A system which should be able to
capture knowledge (various kinds) and
communicate it via different medias.

MY PROBLEM:
===========
I would like to build a content (article) base
which should contain different file types, mostly
pdf and word-documents, but also powerpoint slides
to some extent. The base should be searchable
and also support the Dublin Core metadata
standardization.

I've got an idea as to how this could be done;
but I would very much like your comments and
if it perhaps could be done in another and better
way.

IDEA:
=====
I think this can be done by using two things:
- a db table
- an upload directory

The database table should contain all the Dublin
Core metadata information (author, subject,
description etc.) and the upload directory should
of course contain the files.

Maybe the indexed search engine can handle
these searches...I dont know? Maybe not?
And how do I make the files searchable for other
search engines like google...do I have to create
static doorway-pages or is there a smart way of
doing it?

I would very much like to hear any suggestions...
Thank-you !

/Christian

Christian Rasmussen
MA. in Humanistic Computer Science