[Typo3-dev] Next version of Typo3

=?us-ascii?Q?=22Kasper_Sk=E5rh=F8j=22?= kasper at typo3.com
Wed Sep 3 02:56:29 CEST 2003

>>>   3. Mass-hosting friendly.
>>>
>>>      One instanse Typo3 per web-server with many different
>>>      virtual hosts.
>>>
>>>      Please see the SSR project to understand how may do it
>>>      ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/ssrtech/ ).
>bvte> What seems to be the problem?? This can be one already.

Personally I'm not going to uptimize TYPO3 for either speed or memory consumption. To me personally I just by more hardware and use dedicated servers. If others want something else, it's open source and you can prove that certian optimization can benefit the system - and I guess they will be implemented if flawless.

>Please describe here how to do it.
>By symbolic liks under UNIX? Wrong way!
>
>If you will spend a little time, downloads and installs
>the specified project (SSR), you will see how can be made more
>convenient scheme of installation.

UNIX is prefered and will always be. Still it will work on Windows. Just more hazzle. Or less sometimes. There will always be a different reason for both platforms.

>>>   4. No directory doubling in Typo3 distribution.
>bvte> Directory doubling?

Sorry about that. I try not to do it anymore... :-)
But change it, I probably will not.

However for the guys making the windows-zip files you CAN remove certain directories which does not have to be there twice. For instance the "gfx" dir in typo3/t3lib/ could be removed. And in the 3.6.0 version tslib/ is moved into typo3/sysext/cms/ (which means yet another duplicate...) and that can be removed as well in the zip distributions.

>Read "Inside Typo3". 4.1.1 Folders in typo3_src-xxx.
>"typo3/t3lib = t3lib (softlinked from ../t3lib/)"
>
>You may not use of symbolic links and solve it by PHP code.
>This is more friendly way for Win32-users.
>

>>>   5. Full compatiblity with Win32.
>bvte> Is this not so?
>

>No, of course. Many patches needed for normal executing Typo3 under Win32.
>Main issues:
>
>1. Function "is_execute" is not implemented in Win32 PHP.
>
>   Citation from PHP Manual: "is_execute became available with Windows
>   in PHP version 5.0.0". Is new version of Typo3 support PHP5?
>
>2. Function "recode_string".
>
>   Citation from PHP Manual: "This extension is not available
>   on Windows platforms."
>
>   Please see source code of phpMyAdmin to understand how need to
>   coding platform independed recoding functions.
>
>3. Class "class.tslib_fe.php".
>
>   Logical error in function "checkAlternativeIdMethods" which
>   disables using simulateStaticDocuments under Windows.

Should be OK in the final 3.6.0 - all are on the bug-list.

- kasper
Check www.typo3.com