[Typo3-dev] TMENU_LAYERS - bloat in my <HEAD> !

Daniel Brün dbruen at saltation.de
Tue Sep 2 11:04:33 CEST 2003

Hi Simon!

Simon Child wrote:
> * Perhaps the live code in media/scripts/tmenu_layers.php should not have
> comments in it. By all means have another commented file, stored in the same
> directory, for reference.
>
> * Similarly perhaps the function names could be much shorter. Again perhaps
> the live code could have very brief names, and another file stores the links
> to meaningful names. Perhaps GLV_curLayerWidth could become Gcw and
> GLV_curLayerHeight becomes Gch, and so on.

You're definitely correct! There is way too much code for just a menu!
As the code delivered to the browser in my opinion not necessarily has
to be very human-readable, it could be shortened a lot, but ONLY if
there is a well documented version available on server side!

Another interesting thing might be to try to share functions among
menus. Right now every menu gets its own set of functions, even though
all these functions do very similar stuff. There must be a way to
parametrize this in order to save some bandwidth.

Maybe we can figure out a way to optimize the code and send it to
Kasper. As the layer menu is some very basic element of typo3 it should
not be remade in another extension (just my 2 cents).

Cheers, Dan.