[Typo3-dev] Re: The future of typo3

Hannes Schmidt mail at schmidt-net.via.t-online.de
Sun Oct 26 13:09:49 CET 2003

Michael Zedeler wrote:

> I would like to hear why the separation of frontend and backend is
> such
> a good idea. Most of you on the developer list seems to stick to it,
> but
> I disagree. If you stick with the backend, you have a "split
> personality" website, where code reuse is cumbersome.. Moreover you
> support the "publish-view"-paradigm. What is the aim of Typo3? I
> strongly believe that the content-publishing-paradigm is dead and
> future
> web applications should be more flexible. Microsoft Frontpage is an

Actually, the separation between FE and BE is what Typo3's flexibility is
based on. As a rule of thumb, separation is generally a good thing. Besides,
separation doesn't make code reuse cumber-some, as you say. As an example
from OO-programming, take two separate classes derived from the same base
class. They are separate and yet share code. In general, separation of
design entities forces developers to make clear distinctions and define
precise interfaces. And this is what makes code maintainable and flexible. I
think Typo3 has it's weaknesses (documentation, consistency), but what you
are criticizing as a weakness is one of it's greatest strengths.

BTW, paradigms cannot be dead. If it's a paradigm, it is by definition
immortal. ;-)

-- Hannes, aka. TS-Lover