[Typo3-dev] Spam Protection by images

Sebastian Hesselbarth sebastian.hesselbarth at stud.uni-hannover.de
Thu Nov 20 09:29:03 CET 2003

Hello list,

I am new to typo3 and fiddeling with it about two weeks now. I made a
user function that creates Images from email addresses and stores a md5
hash of the email to avoid using any clear text emails in delivered pages.
maybe the idea is not that good but i think esp. for small pages it is a
good solution for spam protection because parsing an image should stop
most wetbots from collecting you emails.
the next step is to extend the mailform to grab the right email address
from the database and send the email.
i did not use the "internal" spam protection because i want to avoid
using jscript for neccesary features so it is not important for the
visitor to turn it on (although most of them wouldn't even know how to
turn it off ;) )
if there is anyone interested in my modifications (e.g. adding userFunc
support to makelink.mailto) or the script itself feel free to reply.
i also rewrote pagegen's HTML function to fully support XHTML and DC
meta tags but left the original code mostly untouched and added some
configuration options to decide which function to call (XHTML or
original HTML).

Bye, Sebastian Hesselbarth