[Typo3-dev] image processing and Typo3

Martin Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Sun Nov 9 10:33:02 CET 2003

Hi!

I hear folks are unhappy with ImageMagick and/or the way Typo3 uses it. The TODO list has some ideas to get rid of it (in 3.6 and PHP 5.0).

How about defining an interface or an API for image processing in Typo3?

The idea is you can choose (or let Typo3 choose) the solution that's lets plus it let's a developer of a local site modify the img.proc. (by extending the classses) or create even a new implementation based on other image.proc. tools (create new classes).

For PHP 4.3 the choices are ImageMagick binaries or a proprietary solution (either as binaries or a custom PHP module).

PHP 5.0 seems to have an ImageMagick module, and, if I understand it correctly, Kasper and others are working on an enhanced version of GD2.

What do you think? Is this too complex or the benefit not worth the hassle?

Masi