[Typo3-dev] Introduction of an automated, self extracting installer for typo3.org

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Mon Jul 14 13:24:21 CEST 2003

@4u wrote:
^^^
We all use realnames here - Thank you!

> I know, and I'm sure many PHP developers do know, that this tool will NOT
> run on most SAFE_MODE-enabled areas. But for the rest and installs on
> tripod.de (ok, who want to do this?) where SAFE_MODE is enabled and it
> still works - it really helps because you only have to upload two single
> files (typo3.org compressed package "dummy" have a size of about 2.8 MB)
> and it automatically sets CHMODs.

This thing really looks interesting! :-)

I see one small downside: If the files are unpacked by the server, he will
be the owner of these files. In most cases, the webserver is running as a
different user than the real client is working as.

This results in missing permissions for doing changes through FTP, right?!
(The only way to solve this seems to be to chmod the files with a+rw.)

So the question is: Does your package include a 'filemanager' where things
can be maintained just like through an FTP client? Thus it would still be
working with the privileges of the webserver...

> Please have a look at:
> http:///www.direct-netware.de/redirect.php?web;en;projects;ipk;ni (int)
> http:///www.direct-netware.de/redirect.php?web;de;projects;ipk;ni (de)
         ^
One slash too much! These links don't work at least with Konqueror.

> and judge yourself.

OK, added it to my bookmarks.

> My question: Are anybody here interested in this "technology" - released
> under GNU GPL and GNU LGPL (the core iPK-class).

Yes! So I can simply download it and use the stuff?! :-)

Hmmm, maybe repost this message on the Typo3 Linux Install list
(news://news.netfielders.de/typo3.install.linux/)

Cheers - michael