[Typo3-dev] Extensions: how the singleView works. Developing further views.

Cullen Rudston Rudston.Cullen at prosieben.de
Wed Dec 17 20:50:13 CET 2003

Hi there!

First of all, by way of introduction: I have some years of experience programming Java , esp. Swing clients, but very little background as far as web clients are concerned.

I have battled on using my programmers intuition for many weeks now on my own, partly as I felt, well, I just do not have enough web experience to ask sensible questions... But now I am going to take the risk and ask anyway!

After some success I have now reached what seems like an impossible barrier: I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction!

So far ...
	- I have used the Kickstarter to generate an extension ( frontend plugin) for the display of  data out of custom DB 	tables
	- I have successfully edited the generated PHP file

			class.user_customtables_pi1

	to display the data as determined by custom PIVariables as set in the Template setup:

	 ( e.g. plugin.user_customtables_pi1._DEFAULT_PI_VARS.mainTable = thetablename
	          plugin.user_customtables_pi1._DEFAULT_PI_VARS .listFields = field1  field2 etc.
	          plugin.user_customtables_pi1._DEFAULT_PI_VARS.singleListFields = fielda  fieldb etc.
	          plugin.user_customtables_pi1._DEFAULT_PI_VARS.addWhere = attributeX = 10
	etc.)

	- So what we now have is the possibility, starting from the "listView",  to navigate to the "singleView" wherein the 	singleListFields of the current single record data are displayed

The problem.
	- Now I would like one further step: a third view of my own definition, associated with the single record being viewed.
	I thought that all I needed was to understand how the "singleView" worked, and then add similar code for my own view.

	- I have followed the track as far as the method

			pi_list_linkSingle($str,$uid,$cache=0,$mergeArr=array())

	in the plugin base class and then I get lost.
	I cannot see the how  this code determines that the method singleView($content, $conf) gets called when the link is 	activated...

	I imagine that I need to create a link that determines that the method, say, myView($content, $conf) gets called.

	Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.