[Typo3-dev] XML idea - nothing to do with it

Michael Zedeler michael at zedeler.dk
Sun Dec 14 23:50:02 CET 2003

dan frost wrote:
> I have an idea and am not sure if it's useful. I've written some proof
> of concept code already and it works.
>
> Here's a library of functions in different langauages.
>
> -
> <library>
> <name>Standard Library</name>
> <function lang="php">
>     #echo "Hello world";
>     #phpinfo();
>   </function>
> <function lang="bash">
>     ls /httpdocs
>   </function>
> </library>
>
> The php i've written goes through an executes a chosen function with the
> write language/interpreter..
>
> So, any ideas?

Hmmmm.... what is the purpose - is it making it possible to write typo3
modules in many different languages or just executing som small utility
functions when needed such as the look-for-dead-links function mentioned
in another recent thread?

The second thing is fairly straight forward and could easilly be done
using the structure that you outline above, although I'd suggest using
an exisitng standard. There must be one somewhere out there. OMG IDL
doesn't seem to be useful since it doesn't have any PHP binding
descriptions.

If it is the first thing, then there is a lot of things to consider with
regard to sharing variables and functions between the different
languages. Microsoft did some work with that in ASP. Another way to go
is UNO (from SUN), though I haven't tried it - a web application
framework under the Mozilla organization using UNO exists. I am not
aware of any PHP-UNO bridge.

Regards,

Michael.