[Typo3-dev] Very important RFC (ObTS - again)

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Tue Dec 9 18:23:51 CET 2003

Andreas Otto wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 17:20, dan frost wrote:
>
>>p.s. FYI: it is possible to write the old
>>functions into ObTS - but it's really ugly and not
>>fun.
>

> Could the first releases of ObTS come with a "Transitional Mode" which allows
> to move old projects to ObTS without breaking them?

No - The trouble is that lots of TypoScript is (I
think) unnecessary. Lots of the functions do
similar things and so implementing them is getting
really annoying.

It will be transitional in that datatypes no
available in ObTS will be rendered the old way.

It won't be transitional in that ObTS datatypes
won't have all the old TS funcitons.

> That way a lot of people would feel encouraged using ObTS without having to
> fear that their old applications stop running aften installing ObTS.

I agree. I will do it like this:

Release the Object-TypoScript framework with
instructions on how to build datatypes, functions
and so on. This way, I can concentrate on the
datatypes/functions which are important to my
work, and you lot can do it for your's. I will
include a few sample-datatypes (TEXT, HTML, a
half-done FORM, and notes on TABLE).

Also, I'll implement it on a by-page basis. There
will be an $OBTS 1/0 switch which can be set
per-page in the TSConfig - pretty much like a
page-plugin. If set, it will render what it knows
how to; what it doesn't will remain in old-style.

dan