[Typo3-dev] Next version of Typo3

Vyacheslav V. Anisimov v.anisimov at oxy.com.ru
Fri Aug 29 16:52:20 CEST 2003

Hello, Michael!

I see, this is active player change in your team. :)

>> Please describe here how to do it.
>> By symbolic liks under UNIX? Wrong way!

> I hope he won't! This is completely off-topic here. Typo3 works fine with
> most mass hosters. If you encounter any problems, ask in

typo3.install.windows you mean?

I asked how to install Typo3 under Windows.

How to do many web-sites (in distinct databases!) with one
instanse of Typo3 php-files.

The one way to do this (with current release of Typo3) is create many
symbolic links, which not good.

>> If you will spend a little time, downloads and installs
>> the specified project (SSR), you will see how can be made more
>> convenient scheme of installation.

> Feel free to tell me about its advantages. But as long as I don't see your
> problem, I couldn't know what SSR made better.

The SSR - lower level cms in comparison with Typo3.
But its installation scheme is great.

1. You extract downloaded archive in _ANY_ dir.
   It may be dir inside web-site, but may be not (!).

2. Copy "install" dir from extracted distro into root dir of web-site.

3. Run http://your.server/install from browser, enter directory name
   of installed distro, and more configure options (db connect, etc -
   like typo3 install 1-2-3 mode).

What's great in this way?

User may install _ONE_ instanse of distro in _ANY_ server directory
and use it in _ALL_ independed sites (with distinct db) on his server
(repeat steps 2-3 see above).

>> Read "Inside Typo3". 4.1.1 Folders in typo3_src-xxx.
>> "typo3/t3lib = t3lib (softlinked from ../t3lib/)"
>> You may not use of symbolic links and solve it by PHP code.
>> This is more friendly way for Win32-users.

> Yes, this is really something that could be improved. But it's not really a
> problem on Unix computers since they do provide symbolic links. But you
> could post a feature request in the relevant group.

Where I may post a feature request?

>> No, of course. Many patches needed for normal executing Typo3 under Win32.

> I don't mind. This has nothing todo with Typo3. Typo3 simply uses the
> functions that PHP provides. If PHP doesn't provide them - bad luck!

May be you simply never try to use Typo3 under Windows...

--
Vyacheslav.