[Typo3-dev] forcing the (BE) encoding to UTF-8

Martin Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Thu Aug 28 09:14:40 CEST 2003

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:03:57 +0200
From: Kasper Skårhøj <kasper at typo3.com>

> I expect that TYPO3 will soon support UTF-8 like you describe.

"Soon" means the next version? 3.5.1, 3.6, ...

And *hm* is there any timeframe for this? Is there anything a newbie can do to support the development? I reckon there is always a need for testing.

> But I
> don't use the mb_* functions. For conversion between charsets I have
> created my own class. Also to support "windows-*" charsets and not
> only ISO-* sets.

I suggested mbstring because of it's automtic conversoin on in-/output. And because it has string functions that work directly on multi-byte encodings.

For manual conversions I would use iconv (or recode). The string functions should be fairly easy to reimplement if you use internally only 2-byte Unicode. But this means every app/extensions has to be changed to work with your string functions.

Regards,
Masi