[Typo3-dev] FE edit concepts

Christian Jul Jensen christian at julletology.dk
Wed Aug 27 21:53:51 CEST 2003

Hi guys

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:35:20 +0200, Daniel Thomas <dt at dpool.net> wrote:

> Let's have a look at a featurelist and see what is already there and
> how things that aren't should be implemented, after considering one
> general question. Your designed your script to be an API for other
> extensions. In order to give fe-editing to an extension the calls must
>
> be implemented in the extension code. I think it would be better to
> design the whole thing as a plugin of its own. The plugin is given the
> tablename and some TS-config and off you go. No need to change a
> single line in the code of the extension.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my terms. What I mean by 'BE-extension' is
a plugin.

I think my reasoning was that this provides something that you
could use in the backend to get forms in the frontend, as in opposition
to the API that doesn't give you anything in the backend directly.

Let me try to 'cut it out in paper' as we say in dk.

Let's do an extension that provides a plugin to render any table. I
think that it would be a good idea to let this extension use the feEdit
API to achieve this.

So rather than re-inventing the stuff or copy/pasting it to another
extension, lets modify the API to fit the needs of the plugin. Thus the
API provides functions to handel fe-editing, for this plugin and other
extensions.

> Features:
> Multilang-support

The API has this.

> Automatic field generation for defined TCA fields

The API has this.

> Input validation by JS

The API has this.

> Input validation by PHP

Not provided by the API. Do you think we need both JS and PHP? Why?

> Templates for the main screens of the create/edit routines

As mentioned I think that there's an even better approach to this coming
up soon. I'm seeing Kasper tomorrow, I'll ask him about it.

> If you agree that a plugin solution is the right idea, I think it
> would be cool to take your script make it part of a frontend plugin
> and extend it to meet the points mentioned above where necessary. And
> try to further the functionality of the script together from then on.

I think we basically have the same concept in mind.

--
Christian Jul Jensen
Freelance webprogrammer