[Typo3-dev] forcing the (BE) encoding to UTF-8

Martin Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Mon Aug 25 14:57:48 CEST 2003

Hi!

Currently it seems that the BE uses the encoding that's appropriate *) for the current language. Where does Typo3 get the informattion which encoding to use? I thought about tweaking the "database" to make all language entries contain UTF-8 as their value.

I am not sure if this and using the PHP module Multi-Byte String Functions (mbstring) and it's setting mbstring.func_overload = 1 is enough to make Typo3 UTF-8 compliant. mbstring cobers only a small subset of the stanard String module. Though I think one could emulate some of them with pue PHP functions, requiring the app to be changed.

Has anybody tried this approach? The idea is to have all data stored and delivered in UTF-8. This is fine for newer browsers and works ok with different languages.

Regards,
Masi

*) AFAIK there are some languages with more than one encoding.