[Typo3-dev] New news extension?

Daniel Thomas dt at dpool.net
Sun Aug 24 20:43:33 CEST 2003

Hi Sacha,

good to get this feedback after a weekend of work.
What I did yesterday was implementing the various extensions of the
news extension like mulitple categories, RTE and what not else.
Basically, I kept the functionality. I changed the architecture a bit,
because it always bothered me that SINGLE, SEARCH and LIST where
integrated in one function.

> Hi,
>
>> if you were to remake the news extension now what would you change?
> - include FE-Users news-submit form
> - configureable if the form is available only for registered users or
> not
> - possibility to add the name of the FE-User to the article
> - little workflow: news must be approved before they appear in FE

I have started working on a general purpose FE-Edit plugin. I will
write something on this in the thread I started two days ago.

> - more flexible category handling: it should be possible to create 2nd
> or even 3rd level categories and assign several categories to a news
> entry.

good idea.

> - make the news searchable by the indexed-search

good idea.

> - more flexible template/view handling. Create templates with valid
> (x)html code and control layout via CSS

good idea.

> - multi-language support

I did that. it's something like three lines of code and adding the tca
- dbtable stuff.

> - alternative RDS output (never tried that with the current news)

neither did I. but would be interesting.

>> Generally, is it a stupid idea to make a clean start?
>
> I think it`s a good idea. The news+ extension is an improvement but
> why not start "from scratch" again.
>
> I already realized some of the features on http://www.drucken.de. So
> if you need more info or help when creating the plugin just drop me a
> line.
>
> I also think that features like the flexible category handling and
> multi language (in a one-tree concept site) support will be useful for
> a _lot_ of other extensions.

Generally, I would very much like to work on this together. Either,
with a couple of people giving feedback, on what I do or even better,
if it was possible to break the work down to distribute.
I want to spend some time on the FE-Edit feature. So maybe you or
someone else likes to think of a solution for nested categories,
indexed-search, RDS-output and alternative Template approaches. I like
these points because with each of them one could try to establish some
general point for TYPO3, but they are not to of my list as of now.

So whoever is interested, give me your T3-username, I'll set you on the
memberlist of the thing I am working on.

Greetings
Daniel

--/

Daniel Thomas dpool

Hinderink und Thomas Partnerschaft IT-Berater und Projektmanager

Isartorplatz 5 | D-80331 München
t 08912018917 | m 01793918781 | eFax 02561959115820

http://www.dpool.net | http://www.typergy.com

/--