[Typo3-dev] FE edit concepts

Daniel Thomas dt at dpool.net
Fri Aug 22 09:21:51 CEST 2003

Hello list,

as I this is my first posting to this list some brief words about
myself. My name is Daniel Thomas, I am partner of dpool from Munich and
have been working continuously with typo3 since last autumn.

To my concern:
As stated by Daniel Hinderink in a thread
(http://typo3.org/
1427+M5f518c29ca5.0.html?&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1%5Banswered_only%5D=0&tx_m
aillisttofaq_pi1%5Bsword%5D=structural) a couple of weeks ago,
increasingly, we need to integrate FE-Edit functionality in our
projects. I have the feeling that typo3 lacks an overall strategy to
deal with this problem. As I will be spending some time on FE-edit
functionality in projects in the next couple of weeks I would like to
discuss some basic questions before in order to see whether some of
this work might be channelled into solving general FE-edit questions.

Let's have a look at three approaches with little functionality-tags:
fe_adminLib - <comprehensive?>, <with email-workflow>, <HTML-template
comes from calling script>
julle_feedit - <comprehensive?>, <no workflow>, <script gets styles
from calling script>
fe_news - <not comprehensive>, <workflow-integration into task
manager>, <uses custom HTML-template>

I chose the three functionality-tags as I think they are the three
issues in question.
1. comprehensive
we need a solution which will pretty much mirror the possibilities of
the forms in the backend. Fields which are defined for the backend must
be editable in the frontend as well. I am not exacty sure where we
stand here with regard to fe_adminLib and julle_feedit. Does someone
know the exact status (especially in terms of how input evaluation is
integrated in fe_adminLib)? Otherwise I will try to come back to this
myself in the near future.

2. workflow
the fe_adminLib has some kind of workflow integrated by the
emailnotifications with commandlinks. That works very well. However, it
is not the most transparent solution. I mentioned fe_news above because
it integrates the publication of news added in the frontend into the
task manager of the admin user. In my opinion this is the better
solution.

3. templates
the fe_adminLib needs the calling application to provide an
HTML-template in order to render the forms. julle_feedit provides the
HTML for the forms formatted by the calling application's stylesheet,
right? Now, the first approach gives a maximum level of control over
the way things look; the second a more lightweigt access to the wanted
functionality.
There is a general question behind this: Do we need a designwise much
more flexible approach for creating forms in the frontend than in the
backend? Or: How likely is it that a somehow standardized approach will
cause a major problem because its look can not be fully adapted to a
given design?

I would be interested in hearing your opinion about and discussing
A. what kind of workflow-integration a FE-edit function should provide
B. where the actual HTML should come from in rendering the FE-edit
processes
and
C. what the best technical solution for an integrated framework usable
for future extensions could look like.

Writing this mail I realize that I am not talking about small stuff
here. At least not from my perspective. But even if we only describe a
good solution we are some steps further than we are know.

greetings
daniel