[Typo3-dev] TS inconsistencies...

Luite van Zelst luite at aegee.org
Sun Aug 3 10:45:13 CEST 2003

Hi y'all,

just back from holiday, read through most of the discussion. and here's
another 2 cents (also €):

First of all "is it a language?". I was told it was DOM like - an ordered
bunch of properties. But, to make live more comfortable, there's loads of
tweaks, with stdWrap, register, conditions. But let's not get into that
again - we all basically agree (acept for the exact wording ;-) ).

Kasper, remember I sometimes talked about wanting TS to be a "functional
language"? the idea was exactly this (and very much related to Dan's
ideas) every property should be executed as a function, with the return
value as the resulting "property" value. Just like the example "fontsize =
GPVAr(...)". This would give every property stdWrap functionality and much
more.

Now Dan proposes not to use function, but a OO implementation. The idea is
good, fasciniting, and I would really like it.

However....

*) since this is a lot of work and it does not seem to give any direct
marketing/selling advantage for the consultancies - I'd hate to see this
fine idea get lost over time as so many good ideas seem to do.

*) before you start: get some experience with caching (!). I think a
well-thought-through and well-functioning caching mechanism is the problem
you're facing. And in thinking about this you might get some feeling for
the reasons why TS does not have nested-conditions, why not everything is
"dynamic" (with stdwrap etc).

*) note that most standard templates will be quite useless with the new
system, or at the very least need changes. prepare yourself for a lot of
work, especially since you need most TS-objects to be translated to the
new system before a test can be made: just doing the TEXT and HTML objects
is peanuts. Try doing IMAGE, GIFBUILDER and write the appropriate
new-template setup to parse a image-content-object on a page.

>>... and my goal will be to have a strict way to define relations
>> between objects and properties; so strict that the information can be
>> transformed into a *semantics checker* that can tell you IF you use
>> non-existing properties or WHAT properties are available to you
>> anyways.

I don't think this is very realistic (although you guys might have some
creative ideas to do this :-) ). You'd need to run though every line to
check all, almost do the entire parsing a second time.

> - when the function "not_real_function" is run (or tried to run), the
> catch-all (__call) function will return a TypoScript error.

now here's such a creative idea - unfortunatly it only works on the "new"
system, not on the current one. but it sounds promising.

> I'm still going to try to build this myself (over the next few months -
> too little time at the moment). I hope the ideas help... I can draw up a
>  more formal spec if you - or anyone else - is interested.

months... see what I mean? so first rethink the caching etc, maybe then a
formal spec. for an insight into caching, dig through
class.tslib_content.php or investigate the gallery-extension.

warm regards - hope you all had (or still have) a nice holiday,

Luite.