[TYPO3-debian] backup db's & files

Michiel Roos michiel at netcreators.com
Tue Sep 18 09:48:47 CEST 2007

Hi Max,

MySQL backup one way:
nice -n 19 mysqldump -u root -p [db] | nice -n 19 gzip -9 > [db].sql.gz

MySQL backup the other way:
nice -n 19 gunzip < [db].sql.gz | nice -n 19 mysql -u root [db] -p

To make dumps of all existing databases on our system we check the
/var/lib/mysql dir to learn the names of the existing databases. Every
dir in there is a database that needs to be backed up. We currently use
a vintage perl script an old perl guru wrote for us. But a bash oneliner
will do just as fine.

To backup your files; use rsync. This enables you to backup your files
remotely and also keep a history of your backups. It can use ssh to
backup your files securely. You can use a 'key' so you can run an
unattended backup.

If you are interested, I'll write a small readme and post the script
somewhere.

Regards,

Michiel Roos
--
Netcreators BV :: creation and innovation
www.netcreators.com

Interesse in werken bij Netcreators?
http://www.netcreators.com/bedrijf/vacatures/