[TYPO3-debian] offtopic but maybe an answer? Only PHP5 dotdeb on Sarge v3.1

Jordan van Bergen jordanvanbergen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:52:03 CEST 2007

Hi Steffen,

> AFAIK php5-cgi does not depend on apache2 or mysql5 or conflict with any
> php4 package so it should even be safe to be used parallel with php4 for
> soft migration.

Okay, but is it also possible to only use php5 instead of php4. So I want to
get ride of php4 alle the way and install only php5 from the dotdeb
repository as an apache 1.3.x module?

> If you are bound to mod_php5, you need to migrate directly, because
> libapache-mod-php5 conflicts with libapache-mod-php4. Of course mod_php5
> works parallel with php4-cgi.
> http://dotdeb.org/howto/php5_and_php4_on_the_same_apache

Okay, this is clear to me. But if I get ride of PHP4 totally will I be able
to use PHP5 from dotdeb as an apache 1.3.x module?

> So the general answer to your question is yes.
> You can always simulate the installation with "aptitude -s"
> Try "aptitude --without-recommends" to avoid unwanted installation of
> recommended packages, which are not neccessarily needed (if there are
> any recommends at all).
> To find out dependencies/conflicts of a package, you can download the
> .deb file locally and then view it with "usr/lib/mime/debian-view"
> It can be found in the "mime-support" package.

Thanks for the tips above. I think I will try this on a virtual machine
first to see what will happen. Thanks for the tips and hopefully someone
knows if it's possible to use only php5 from dotdeb instead of te standard
php4 sarge version.

Regards
Jordan van Bergen