[TYPO3-debian] Quick guide: Installing "LAMP Testsite" under Debian.

Stig Nørgaard Færch stig at 8620.dk
Thu Oct 12 08:55:19 CEST 2006

Here is what I did to install the "LAMP Testsite" package on a clean
Debian installation (no desktop or servers installed):

*First I upload the automated build file to its own folder
"wget http://www.typo3-installer.de/fileadmin/4.0/build4.0_all.sh"

This file downloads some rpms which needs to been installed.
As you know Debian is not rpm compatible out of the box, so that is why
you need "alien".
"apt-get install alien"

Also I noticed that I had to install the "libxml2-dev" package to
complete the LAMP Testsite installation succesfully.
"apt-get install libxml2-dev"

Now you will have to do some changes in the build4.0_all.sh file you
downloaded. Because the build file expects you to have rpm package
system running on your system.
Find the section "# install required RPMs"
Replace all occurences of "rpm -ivh --force" with "alien -ik".
This makes alien convert the rpm to deb and then install them.

This procedure was in my case enough to complete the "LAMP Testsite"
installation on a fresh and stripped clean Debian install.

What I did was to install Debian as a virtual machine through VMWare
Player. (Free virtualization software)
http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/13
This way I have a free dev server (no extra hardware) inside my
workstation. I think it's cool!

How this helps somebody out there

Best Regards,
Stig N. Færch