[TYPO3-debian] debian packages for 4.0.1

Matteo Anceschi manceschi at arscolor.com
Thu Aug 31 18:58:37 CEST 2006

Hello Christian and all,

Il 31/08/2006 17.49, Christian Welzel ha scritto:
> Christian Welzel wrote:
>
>> one or two weeks ago i packaged the new version of typo3 (4.0.1)
>
> Ok, Michael told me, that some other people are interesting
> in packaging and he wants to wait for the work of Sven before
> doing further development of the debs.
> So i'm now also waiting for Sven :)

I'm one of those who wrote you about debian packaging, I think. :)

In July, I wrote to Michael (it seemed to me that he was packaging for
Debian), but now I think we have to coordinate ourselves (Michael,
obviously please correct me if I'm wrong).
My position is quite simple: I'm first an happy Debian user, *after* I'm
also an happy Typo3 user.

So, my primary concerns (and the help I could give to us all) are, for
example:
- assuring that the typo3 package will enter in sid with less bugs as
possible (correcting also some existents bugs)
- absolutely no more RC bugs, we've already freezed base, and we're
already late (a bit, not too much) with release plan for Etch
- with only well-thought dependencies (I'm thinking about Depends,
because with Recommends we can be more relaxed :) )
- consistent with Debian Policy, Web Application Proposal Policy, and
other applicable policies (as LSB, or at least FHS)
- we have to interact with the mantainer, Christian Leutloff (I think
you've altrady done it..he didn't reply, true?): this is very important
in debian community, you know :)
- mantain a bidirectional channel with upstream in next years

This list could continue ;)

I told to Michael, and so I wrote it also here, that I begin to study
policies and Debian developers best practices in (I think) April...or
March, I don't remember.

This is because I want to:
- first, adopt a package
- then, become mantainer
- then, DD (Debian Developer) (but this needs MORE time, obviously...)

All this things to say: I'd like to start my serious experience in
Debian taking the maintenance of Typo3 package, as I said to Michael.

Christian, because I'm a bit late, you came first. So, if you prefer to
officially mantain this package yourself, or other people prefers any
other solution, there's no problem for me: I'd go for another package,
trying to help this package enter in Debian community :)
But obviously I'd like very much to take care of my most appreciated
free software together, Debian and Typo3.

Let me know what I can do :)

Thank you and have a good day!

Cheers from Italy,

Matteo