[Typo3-debian] gm processes -> loadavg sky high (GraphicsMagick)

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Sun Feb 13 18:21:56 CET 2005

Hi Lars.

Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:
> It seems like it is the wrapper, which isn't closing the gm process and
> continues in some kind of a loop (?)...

This might not be what happens to you, but here's what we saw when
installing the IM6 wrapper on a SuSE machine recently... :)

The wrapper checks for IM with "which composite". We placed the wrapper
in /usr/local/bin/, assuming the "real" composite was in /usr/bin *and*
that /usr/bin was in the path *before* /usr/local/bin.

This wasn't the case, so the first call from TYPO3
to /usr/local/bin/composite made that call "which composite" which referred
to the wrapper itself.

We sat there wondering why that big machine went down and where the 16000
processes and the load avg from more than 700 came from. :) Finally we just
moved the wrapper away and everything calmed down again. We hardcoded the
path to the real IM now...

Maybe this helps.
Karsten