[Typo3-debian] Up to date Debian packages available

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Tue Dec 6 08:33:16 CET 2005

Hi Steffen,

>> - I'm planning to create a Debian package of ooo_extract which can be
>> used
>>   to index OpenOffice.org documents. The functionality is already in
>>   indexed_search but there's yet no Debian package available. I will do
>>   that later and add it to the Sunsite repository.
>
> Any news on that?

Sorry, no. I think it will be quite easy to do, but the reason why I didn't
start this yet is that I am not yet sure which is the best way to extract
OpenOffice.org documents.

Currently, the processing is done with either this tool that depends on
setting the python path (too complicated, I think) or alternatively using
libunzipped. However, the problem with libunzipped is that it works slow
because it extracts all files to a temporary location first.

I've once integrated a third solution called "o3read". Very nice program,
but it could be done easier:

I think that extracting the files (they are always zip files) _somehow_ is
better than using a native tool.

Since TYPO3 can parse XML output, it would be very easy to simply extract
content.xml and/or meta.xml from the OOo documents.

Bottomline: Instead of creating such packages, I will work on better Zip
integration that doesn't rely on libunzipped.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out