[Typo3-debian] Old Libs are best for typo3?

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Wed Sep 1 01:09:06 CEST 2004

Hi Marc,

> currently I am in contact with an internet agengy designing typo3
> websites. They send me the following mail and I wonder whether they are
> right in saying that the ancient libraries are best for the typo3
> installation.

In case of the GIFTEXT, they produce the best quality, yes. But this does
not mean that you cannot use TYPO3 with more recent packages.

For example, we use Debian Woody with no changes for our Internet site. It
works fine although there are some minor issues (details).

> What do you mean? Are the newer versions no good for Typo3 or is this
> company not able to properly install typo3 with recent libraries?

On the other side we have an Intranet site which uses GD 2.0.28 (with
reintroduced GIF support!) and GraphicsMagick 1.0.2 (probably the first
productive environment that uses TYPO3 with GM :-)).

This way I had the best results so far. Small images at a very good quality.

> Here comes the mail (I translated the mail for you):
> [...]
> TYPO3 requires miscellaneous server software which is absolutly
> necessary and can only be installed with root access. Please refer to
> the optimal configuration on this site:
>
> http://www.typo3-installer.de/index.php?id=682
> important are the following package versions:
>
> - FreeType 1.3.1
> - GD 1.8.3 patched for GIF (GIF Write Support)
> - ImageMagick 4.2.9

I agree that GD1 was better than GD2, especially if you use the 'nicetext'
feature. Jan-Hendrik Heuing and I did some tests over the last weekend, we
will hopefully find a solution for making this work with GD2 one day...

> On the website mentioned above there are the official Typo3- install
> scripts, which you can consider, if necessary.

I wonder in which way this script is "offical" but never mind...

> If the libraries are not installed the website's migration, which uses
> the image functions heavily, cannot be accomplished the the wanted
> success.

Bottomline: As long as the graphics are ok I see no reason to switch back to
a no-longer-maintained release.

Cheers, michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html