AW: [Typo3-debian] Which mysql version do I have?

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Wed Oct 27 10:09:35 CEST 2004

> But what you are saying is... ? That I have a mix of the two???

Strange indeed!

The only idea i have is that your "mysql api" is "built" staticly into
php4-mysql, so not the whole mysql itself - but the api.

Look, my php4-mysql answers to be "external". If i update only MySQL, the
api, that php4-mysql shows, is updated as well. Without having updated
php4-mysql. Because the "external" type of php4-mysql gets the appropr. api
dynamically from the installed MySQL.

At least this is what i remember. :)

So in your case the api shown in php4-mysql would remain of the same
version, even if you update MySQL e.g. from 4.018 to 4.021.

As i use Sarge and you Woody - i don`t know if "builtin" is the standard in
Woody.. Means, you cannot change it anyway without recompiling the appropr.
packages on your own. But i wouldn`t do so. Because

a) Never change a running system :)

b) php4-mysql will get updated by maintainers - if necessary - as well

c) your api is:  3.23.49 (running fine with MySQL 4.018)  -  mine:   3.23.56
(running fine with MySQL 4.021)  - so no big difference.

Just MySQL 4.018 has a bad bug - please read on Typo3.org startpage:

There are two warnings about this (3.7.0) release:

- DO NOT use the new "version" extension if you are running a MySQL version
below 4.0.18! If you do a bug in MySQL will mess up the "Next Autoindex" of
tables in the database meaning that unique IDs are raised to nearly 2
billion and you will get a lot of trouble. This is NOT a bug in the
versioning extension, but a problem with MySQL which seemingly is fixed in
versions only above 4.0.18

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany