[Typo3-debian] Provide a useful apache.conf - sendmail, cgi problems remaining

Christian Leutloff leutloff at debian.org
Tue Nov 30 15:55:13 CET 2004

Hi Sven,

Sven Wilhelm wrote:

> It should be a standard for typo3 to use virtual hosts as they give you
> all needed configuration possibilities inside a container object. And
> that container ist a very clean concept.

yes, you are right. I'm doing it the way you described on my own servers. But for Debian all other (PHP based) programs I know of (phpldapadmin, phpmyadmin, dwww) use a sub dir in the local web server. So the default is IMHO to do it that way. But I'll add your virtualhosts suggestions as an example to apache.conf. Thanks a lot.

> I appended a sample:
>
> <VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>
>     ServerAdmin    webmaster at mydomain.de
>     DocumentRoot   /home/project/apache/docs/www.mydomain.de
>     ServerName     www.datug.de
>     ErrorLog      /home/project/apache/logs/www.mydomain.de/error.log
>     CustomLog     /home/project/apache/logs/www.mydomain.de/access.log \
> combined
>
>     <Directory /home/project/apache/docs/www.mydomain.de>
>         Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks +Includes

What is the benefit for enabling server-side includes provided by mod_include, while using TYPO3?

>         RewriteEngine On

What are the following lines for?

>         RewriteRule ^/typo3$ - [L]
>         RewriteRule ^/typo3/.*$ - [L]

The following rewriting rules ensures that all requests for missing files, links or directories are directed to /index.php - right?

>         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
>         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l
>         RewriteRule .* /index.php

>     </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>

> Also typo3 should move to /usr.

yes, typo3 is located in /usr/share/typo3. In /var are only files that will change through the operation of typo3.

> Possibly patch the installer to deny a request if the password ist
> joh316 or empty. So the write access to typo3/install/index.php is history.

fine. But what will be the way to get the initial password (without asking the user)?  Or am I missing your point?

Bye
Christian

btw.: please use www.oche.de instead of users.oche.de from now on (it's faster and will be updated in the future).

--