[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Wed Nov 17 11:38:00 CET 2004

Hi,

first of all, great work y'll are doing!

Christian Leutloff schrieb:

[...]
>> No, don't make separate packages for backend and frontend, one package
>> containing both is enough.
>

> The separation is suggested in the German TYPO3 book. Anybody who
> doesn't need the separation can install both packages. The other way
> (installing only half of a package) is not possible.
>
>> You can still disable the backend by deleting the symlink to the
>> backend (typo3 -> typo3_src/typo3) from your site folder.

I never tried it yet but do believe it should be possible to strip some
stuff for installations *without editor-interface*. Thats what this
seems to do, right? Then I do support this very much.

>>> - typo3-db-dummy, typo3-db-quickstart - Database tables/templates
>>

>> No, I don't think dummy, quickstart and testsite should be delivered
>> in separate packages.
>>
>> They can only serve for an initial installation, upgrading is not
>> possible anyway.
>

> Right. The packages are only providing the database file. These files
> *are* upgradeable and ease the update process (as I understand so far).
> These SQL-Files can be used to install/upgrade through the TYPO3 tools
> (or the typo3-site-installer).
>
>> So if e.g. the content of the quickstart package changes, the debian
>> package should still not update any installed quickstart package in
>> /var/www because the user has probably already changed the content to
>> represent his own website and not the website of FC Bigfeet.
>>
>> That's why I opt for including all the packages into the
>> typo3-site-installer, so you get the choice to install dummy,
>> quickstart, or testsite.
>

> I think that the Debian way is to respect the upstream packaging.
> Therefor I will provide three separate packages.

I am not so sure about this. it is merely providing some sql and other
files which probably need to be copied/imported anyway. I think that
could go into one package?

pros: not to many different packages, which is easier to understand.
cons: different packaging than upstream. ;)

I would think an "typo3-examples" package could provide those examples
"all-in-one", the typo3-site-installer-package probably providing ways
to make use(install) any of the different examples.

>>> - typo3-site-installer (or typo3-common or typo3-site-manager) -
>>> provides utilities used to manage typo3 (select database
>>> template/source/extensions etc.); the site-installer is upstream
>>> maintained in a different place, it is targeted to different typo3
>>> versions -> therefor I'd like to use a different package.
>>

>> IMHO the site-installer should only take care of installing new
>> packages (as described above). Template selection and things like that
>> can be done in the TYPO3 backend afterwards, an installer should not
>> confuse by trying to replace what the backend is made for.

+1

>>> - typo3-<extensions>
>>

>> So you mean global extensions should be installable by using separate
>> packages?
>>
>> In which directory should the extension then be installed?
>>
>> I'd place them in the global extension folder of a specific TYPO3
>> branch like 3.6, 3.7 and so forth.
>>
>> The package name would then have to be:
>>   typo3-<extensionkey>-<typo3_branch>
>>
>> (BTW, I hate that tx_ttnews naming convention, so I opt for not using
>> that instead of the plain extensionkey)
>>
>> The package name of tt_news could look like:
>>   typo3-tt_news-3.6
>>
>> It would then be installed in:
>>   /var/lib/typo3/typo3_src-3.6/typo3/ext/tt_news
>

> sounds very good.
>
>>> - typo3 - virtual package provided for an easy start with typo3 -
>>> depends on last typo3-src version plus quickstart database
>

>> I'd rather say the virtual package should depend on last typo3_src
>> plus typo3-site-installer
>

> Here I'm disagreeing.
>
> I think of two types of Debian users:
>
> single system: use typo3 to install everything needed
>
> multiple server system: separate server for FE/BE usage, db server for
> fail over, load balancing etc.
>
> I'm installing our servers using FAI (Fully Automatic Installation) from
> Thomas Lange, http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai. Therefore I need
> everything in packages and installed correctly without manual interaction.
>

> Both types of users are able to use the packages in the proposed layout.
> Do you agree?

Sounds very great!

I will go and fetch the packages soon.

Thx,