[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Nov 12 23:02:57 CET 2004

Hello Christian,

well, you did some really great work!

(Folks, I do know this was a huge job. It's really great!)

> http://users.oche.de/~leutloff/debian/packages/
>
> There you'll find
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 leutloff users    49798 2004-11-12 18:59
> typo3_3.7.0-0.2_all.deb

This seems to be the former typo3-env package. Looks right.

> -rw-r--r--  1 leutloff users  1531140 2004-11-12 18:59
> typo3-frontend-3.7_3.7.0-0.2_all.deb
> -rw-r--r--  1 leutloff users  9491580 2004-11-12 18:59
> typo3-backend-3.7_3.7.0-0.2_all.deb

Houston, problem!
It makes absolutely no sense to split these packages! Please merge them
again, even a finished page cannot be run without the backend part
(typo3/...) of the package.

> -rw-r--r--  1 leutloff users   244266 2004-11-12 18:59
> typo3-db-dummy_3.7.0-1_all.deb

Well, is this package usable? Shouldn't this be accomplished by the
site-installer? I though so...

> The updated typo3-site-installer is available from the CVS typo3xdev on
> sourceforge. The packaging is on the way ...

I'll look at it later.

Well, I still miss some features (see other mails mentioned by Ingmar [1]).
Most notably it should be possible to co-install a version of each branch
(typo3_3-6, typo3_3-7, etc.).

This does really make sense, see my previous message on this topic [2].

> Be careful with the packages! I've used them to install one version, but
> I'm a beginner with regards to typo3.

I did start exactly the same way! :-)

One important note: Please start (or try) to consequently write TYPO3 in
upper-case as we do it everywhere (except in URLs or in the Debian package
name).

> Befor I move the Package to the Debian archive, the following things needs
> to be done:
>
> - Decide the maintainer - I would like to see a little team of debian
> developers to maintain typo3 in Debian. If some developers step forward we
> have to decide where to host the mailing list: should we use one at
> lists.debian.org or should/may we use this list

Currently, it's fine here because all TYPO3-on-Debian users are subscribed
to this list already...

> - package the typo3-site-installer

As stated, I'd like to see this as a separate project which does not depend
on Debian, but of course we should provide a package for it!

> - package typo3-db-quickstart and typo3-db-testsite in a similar way I've
> done for typo3-db-dummy

I don't think they make sense.

> - test the packages

Yep!

> - tbd: remove phpmyadmin (version 2.5.6-rc1) from the package (would save
> us 8 MB disk space and 2 MB Debian archive space) and use an up-to-date
> debian package (2.6.0)

Yes. But there are some changes made by Kasper, so I don't know if it's easy
to integrate a standard PhpMyAdmin into TYPO3.

> - any other thinks?

I think it's enough to start with... ;-)

Keep up the great work!
- michael

[1] news:mailman.1.1100288249.21474.typo3-debian at lists.netfielders.de
[2] news:mailman.1.1099784781.1080.typo3-debian at lists.netfielders.de