[Typo3-debian] Debian manual ready for comments/improvements and proofreading

Steffen Mueller steffen at mail.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Mon May 31 21:59:05 CEST 2004

On 28.05.2004 19:38 Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:
> http://www.dcmedia.biz/fileadmin/debian/manual.sxw
>
> Send your comments to this list.

Hi Lars,

thanks a lot for this documentation. Here are my comments.

First of all, I honor your attempt to provide a manual to install debian
from scratch but I don't think this should be the intention of a Typo3
specific documentation. As "hard as the part to install Debian itself"
can be, there are a lot of docs out there in the debian world, which
explain debian installation. Same with Apache, PHP, ... This is why I
won't comment page 2 to 31.

Next, I did not have the time (yet) to check the content in detail. The
following comments are hints about structure and general things.

Table of content:
- Should contain less entries and be more structured.

for example:
1. Installation
1.1 System preparation
1.2 Apache
1.3 PHP
1.4 Typo3
1.4.1 Typo3-source
1.4.2 Typo3-site-installer

Screenshots:
- Screenshots should make things more clear, but not replace needed
text. How to copy+paste text in screendumps?
- Printing the doc will consume lots of toner/ink (because of white on
blue/black colors and big borders). Reduce size and maybe invert colors.

Text in general:
- Provide all input text as plaintext to allow copy+paste.
- Explain the needed steps a bit more.

For example:
1.4.1 Typo3-source
Now that your system is ready for installing Typo3, we use the Debian
package management system to install the Typo3 sources.
Therefore, pick an editor of your choice and add the following two lines
to /etc/apt/sources.list. (Consider, that you normally need to be root
to edit this file.)
  deb http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/ ./
  deb-src http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/ ./
(...)

- Choose different fonts for input text, descriptions ... Colorisation
could help, too.

That's it for now. This week, I have few time to spend on typo3, but
after that, I'll have a closer look on the content itself.

--
cheers,
Steffen