[Typo3-debian] Poorly documentation

Ossi Petz ossipetz at myrealbox.com
Mon May 31 16:02:30 CEST 2004

hello

well first: i do recognize the frustration. i really do. but i can not
agree the way you express it.

typo3 tutorials cover a lot of documentation that is simply not typo3
related. setting up php and apache and imagamagick and stuff is
described at php.net and apache.org and so on. finding step-by-step
instructions in typo3 tutorials is more meant as a hint. i cant do more.

next: installing typo3 on windows (after a sucsesfull webserver config)
takes like 5 minutes! learning typo3 takes another 2 months! that is
stated in the quickstart tutorial an trust me: its no joke!

installing typo3 on unix systems and specially debian just brings
further 'pain'. there are like one billion tutorials for debian. and 1%
of them works for my 'weird' installation. some tools are missing, some
have different versions, the sources-list is not the same, some use
apt-pinning and get different packages and so on and on and on...

debian is dummy safe. not at all. its not even professionals-safe (at
least i would say so).

the only question that remains is: do you want to install it? yes or no.
if yes: describe where you got stuck. i can almost guarantee you:
someone has solved precisely that problem a week ago. a problem that did
not came up for a lot of other people. so why should it be in a manual?

if you have the will to do it, you will find an answer at typo3.org or
at goolge google/groups. but finding that answer sometimes takes too
much time... i can agree with that. but you _can_ find an answer! just
dont give up after 10 hours. time consuming? yeeeeees ;)

if youre not willing to spent youre time with this... well?

there are other php/mysql/cms, some even free. all with 'the same'
problems, as all require the same setup for these tools. blame anyone in
the chain for it... or blame the last one in the queue for incomplete
docs or hidden manpages.

i have not seen any completly working debian-howto yet! in 2 years of
debian root-server administration not a single one! that is clearly not
the responsibility of typo3.org

so to finish in one sentence (could have come up earlier with that idea
:p): give it a try! friendly at patient! its worth it.

need some reference data?
my first typo3-installation was july-2003 on windows 2000 server. since
then i try to bring it to my debian-woody (with all imagemagick/search
tools). it works since 3 weeks (05/2004). there was always something
(mail, php, openssl, apache, php again, stable packages that went
testing and so on)

ok. /me is not the debian-guru. but hey!

if things are supposed to work but they dont find a solution or ask
someone and dont blame the manual! poor thingy! :-p

remember one sentence: give it a try! seriously!

ossi :-)