[Typo3-debian] Provide a useful apache.conf - sendmail, cgi problems remaining

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Wed Dec 1 01:42:20 CET 2004

Hello Christian,

> yes, you are right. I'm doing it the way you described on my own servers.
> But for Debian all other (PHP based) programs I know of (phpldapadmin,
> phpmyadmin, dwww) use a sub dir in the local web server.

Hmmm. I still disagree about your plan with site packages. But this is your
decision. I'm already wondering to see how you will to update a database
structure when a new release comes out...

If you consequently used the site-installer to create new sites, then you
could let the user decide if he wants to have a VirtualHost or just a
subdirectory for his new site.

> What is the benefit for enabling server-side includes provided by
> mod_include, while using TYPO3?

I don't see any. Sven?

> What are the following lines for?
>
>>         RewriteRule ^/typo3$ - [L]
>>         RewriteRule ^/typo3/.*$ - [L]

The main purpose of the .htaccess file was to enable
SimulateStaticDocuments. Have a look at how it works, and you'll probably
know what the above lines are made for:

Stop Rewrite processing if the REQUEST_URI is either

  ^/typo3$  or $/typo3/  (2nd example affects everything inside typo3/...)

These lines work in most cases but they wouldn't work if your site is inside
of a subdirectory, e.g. /html/typo3/...

I have written a new htaccess file that is much larger and well commented.
It takes care of all known bugs and is almost ready for the RealUrl
extension. I also added this to our CVS repository, it's in
doc/advanced.htaccess. Please have a look at it!

Don't know if it's better to specifiy these parts inside of the Apache
config fire or within an .htaccess file, but I'd say the first options
looks better to me (read the file and you'll see that there are parts that
can only be set in the Apache config file, not in .htaccess).

> The following rewriting rules ensures that all requests for missing files,
> links or directories are directed to /index.php - right?
>
>>         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>>         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
>>         RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l
>>         RewriteRule .* /index.php

Right, it affects all files, directories and links.

>> Also typo3 should move to /usr.
>
> yes, typo3 is located in /usr/share/typo3. In /var are only files that
> will change through the operation of typo3.

Except the change in typo3/install/index.php, there is nothing to be changed
inside of the source anymore.

Remember my suggestion of site config files in /etc/typo3/, then it would be
very easy to enable/disable both install tool and the whole backend with
just two lines.

>> Possibly patch the installer to deny a request if the password ist
>> joh316 or empty. So the write access to typo3/install/index.php is
>> history.
>
> fine. But what will be the way to get the initial password (without asking
> the user)?  Or am I missing your point?

TYPO3 3.7 shows a red alert if an admin logs in and the install tool
password is still 'joh316'. I think this is enough already...

Regards, michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html