[Typo3-debian] GIF packages on Debian Sarge

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Thu Aug 12 01:56:47 CEST 2004

Running GIF enabled packages on Debian Sarge:

1) Add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

   deb http://www.mstucki.net/debian/ testing all

2) Run "apt-get update"

3) General note: The name of the package containing the GD extension for PHP
   has changed from "php4-gd2" to "php4-gd".

   However, the php4 extension will work with both Apache and Apache2!

3a) GraphicsMagick 1.1.2 (I prefer this one!)
    Run "apt-get -u install graphicsmagick graphicsmagick-im-compat \
                            libgd2-xpm php4-gd"

3b) ImageMagick 4.2.9 (statically linked binaries)
    Run "apt-get -u install imagemagick-typo3-4.2.9 libgd2-xpm php4-gd"

4) Restart Apache: "/etc/init.d/apache restart"

5) Backup your typo3conf/localconf.php!

6) Download this file and add the contents to the top of your
   typo3conf/localconf.php (but after the "<?php" tag, of course):

   http://www.mstucki.net/files/typo3/localconf-additions/localconf_additions.php.txt

   If there was already a line containing the "edit point token", make sure
   it does now only occur once. Therefore delete the upper one of them.

   Make sure that there are no other lines that start with this:
   "$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['GFX']"
   As long as you're not sure, delete these lines (and remember that we have
   a backup of it...).

7) Check if everything works

8) Optional tuning: Installing "turck-mmcache".
   This is recommended and works very well with TYPO3:
   Simply run "apt-get -u install turck-mmcache" and restart Apache when
   done.

That's it.
- michael
--