[Typo3-debian] typo3 in official debian tree?

Christian Jul Jensen christian at jul.net
Tue Oct 14 09:42:14 CEST 2003

Hi

I just spent the weekend installing my first debian. It's amazing how
good this works.

I'm a believer!

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:31:25 +0200
Edelhard Becker <typo3 at edelhard.de> wrote:

> > but one problem could be:
> > imagine severe bugs/security leaks being exploited in 3.5.0 and
> > typo3 developers don't care, because 3.6.0 is not affected or
> > problems are only fixed in the 3.6.0 branch.
>
> As i understood some previous discussions on this topic there are
> several Typo3 ISPs using Debian as base distribution for their hosts.
> Since a lot of pages depend on the Typo3 release they can't just
> upgrade to a new major version. So there should be a large interest in
> security fixes for older releases.

In my opinion the updating of the TYPO3-src itself works very easy,
simply download the tarball, unpack it and, change the symlink. Maybe
fire up the install tool to check database integrity, which you have to
do even if the source was provided as a debian package.

The main problem of getting TYPO3 running is the environment, especially
the graphic things. So, I think that if a TYPO3_env deb package would
get into the tree, that would be an advantage.

The installation/upgrading of the source is the minor part of it, as I
see it. It is after all only scripts.

--
./mvh Christian Jul Jensen
      Freelance webprogramer