[Typo3-debian] Some questions about unstable install

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Fri Nov 21 18:51:07 CET 2003

Steffen Mueller wrote:

> be careful!
> - add source to /etc/apt/sources.list
> - apt-get update
> - apt-get install <package-name[s]>
> is the better choice, since apt-get upgrade could upgrade packages you
> do not want to upgrade.

I always use the '-u' switch to see what will be upgraded:
# apt-get -u upgrade

> [OT]
> at the moment i wouldn't install _any_ packages from official debian
> server or mirror, since some of them could have been compromised.
> http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/files/fw/debian-security-20031121.txt

Very unfortunate! I just wonder who could be interested to do this.
As long as such an attack follows several security-warnings to the sysadmin
without any response, then I can _partly_ understand it.

Anyway. As far as I remember, this behaviour was only seen at big
commercials such like Microsoft. I am sure that the Debian guys would have
fixed the hole if they knew about!

<conspiracy theory>
So I only see two options:
- someone who is mentionally disturbed