[Typo3-debian] GD with GIF support: Apache segfaults

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Thu Jul 10 12:10:31 CEST 2003

Hi Thomas,

>> Seriously. What's wrong with PNG?

> You know, I would love to use your debian package on my production server,
> BUT I for one cannot accept to use PNG instead of GIF. What would it
> require for you to be able to incorporate GIF-support in the .deb ?

Look at Joey's post. I'm really interested to hear some real arguments
against PNG (seriously!).

I am not able to incorporate GIF-Support in the packages. Reasons:

- We want to have Typo3 be part of the official Debian one day
- Debian doesn't accept LZW-Support (=GIF compression) because of its
  license restrictions. Search Google to read more about this topic.

However, it would still be possible to do this. Simply patch the Debian
sources and recompile the stuff. You are free to do so. But since I
personally do not see a good reason for that and since I really want to
force PNG, I have no plans for this.

Cheers - michael