[Typo3-debian] Debian-Install-Package

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Fri Apr 11 15:40:22 CEST 2003

Hi Robert,

> For the first time it also installed typo3, but not (as espected) the
> additional moduls needed by typo3. Is this the normal behavior or what may
> be wrong?

No, this is correct. See below:

======
webmaster at ch1ws447:~$ apt-cache show typo3-base
Package: typo3-base
Source: typo3-src
Version: 3.5.0-2
Section: web
Maintainer: Michael Stucki <mundaun at gmx.ch>
Depends: apache, php4, php4-mysql, mail-transport-agent | exim, wget
Recommends: mysql-server (>= 3.23.1-1), php4-gd | php4-gd2, php4-cgi,
imagemagick
Suggests: diff, zip, xpdf-utils, catdoc
Architecture: all
Filename: ./typo3-base_3.5.0-2_all.deb
======

apt-get will only regard the 'Depends'. All other packages are kept in
'Recommends' and 'Suggests' fields.
These fields will be processed by the 'dselect' frontend for example.

This has it's cause:

- The packages in 'Depends' are really needed packages to run Typo3.
- MySQL server, GD extension and imagemagick are only recommended because
  Typo3 could also work without them (the Database could be hosted on another
  server...)
- diff, xpdf-utils (contains 'pdf2text') and catdoc (word -> txt) are only
  suggested. Same as the recommendations, but still less important...

(And yes, the dependencies for 'wget' and 'zip' will be removed in the next
release...)

This is a good point  to discuss! Do you think I should keep it this way or
change every package to a dependency?
I could even create a dummy-package, i.e. 'typo3-suite', which has all the
packages from above in a 'Depends' field.

What do you think?

> But I still have no gdlib etc. installed. See the phpinfo
> http://www.dynamic-website.de/fileadmin/info.php

Run dselect and install it again. I'm sure it will ask you...

Hope this helps...
Cheers, Michael