[Typo3-UG CH] PHP caching

Luc de Louw luc.delouw at bit-heads.ch
Fri Apr 2 22:38:04 CEST 2004

Folks,

On the last Swiss TUG meeting we had a discussion about PHP caching and
the death and alive of certain projects. (Dominic, I promissed to post
something...;-)

I made some research and found out the following:

o APC (Alternative PHP Cache)

The project origin site is out out date (http://apc.communityconnect.com/)

It is now hosted at pear.php.net (http://pecl.php.net/package/APC)

I'm surprised and glad, that this project is still alive! In ancient
times it was bringing some very good results. I did not made any tests
sice more that one year. I'm going to test the most recent release 2.0.3
in the next days.

o Turck mmcache

For me the most promissing project. Also tought dead. Is is NOT!
The project founder Dmitry has a new job at zend.com due to his great
knowledge.

According to
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1009539&forum_id=236227
the project is to be renamed and is still alive.

Evidence:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/turck-mmcache/turck-mmcache/?sortby=date#dirlist

o Zend optimizer

I made some tests (not yet with typo3) and experianced a
performance-lost (yes, lost)

 From my point of view not worth to be looked at it further, closed
source, poor performance.

Conclusion: There are still some high-quality opensource caching
products available :-)

I hope I was able to give you a brief overview about the availablity of
todays PHP caching technology.

Feedback is welcome....

rgds

Luc