[TYPO3-about] Typo3 4.5 end of maintenance

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Tue Sep 9 17:52:55 CEST 2014

Hi Michael

 > What does the rest think about this?

We're only a really small agency, so it won't be a problem upgrading
websites of customers that can be convinced upgrading... It is also a
good opportunity to switch to Neos with some small sites that basically
need comfortable content editing and not much more.

Just one word about the extended span for upgrading: We started working
on a rather big website in November 2013 which was published in July.
Sometimes it reminded me of the first 6.0 project we did while it wasn't
finished yet. Quite some changes to the Core that made it hard to be an
early adpoter, especially to crucial features like FAL. While they were
all done "for good" and 6.2 clearly is a very good release, some
agencies might not take the risk to adopt early for these reasons:

- You cannot really know if all features/bugfixes announced make it into
the release.
- You can never know if the release date is re-scheduled and if you
depend on it, you might have to deliver a website with a non-final release.

In our case, we were lucky that the launch of the website mentioned was
postponed to Summer, so it wasn't really a problem. It would have been
insane to deliver a page with 4.5, DAM etc. knowing that basically
everything is EOL after just one year, so it was the right decision. But
agencies that have tons of installations and a standardized package
might rather wait until the release is "stable stable".

Nevertheless, I think it's okay to keep the EOL date for 4.5, knowing
that if critical security issues pop up after it, there will most likely
be an announcement and fix even if it's EOL.

Best regards,

Lorenz