[TYPO3-about] Typo3 4.5 end of maintenance

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Tue Sep 9 14:13:38 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 9-9-2014 10:55, Michael Stucki wrote:
> What does the rest think about this?

My personal opinion:

 From my own observations I think that at least some agencies started
the migration track way too late.
The overlap was originally 6 months; by request of agencies this was
extended to 12 months. 6.2 was postponed by at least 3 months, so
everybody got at least 9 months extra to start talking to customers.
Unfortunately plans for the upgrade were only started after the release
and after half a year the first upgrades actually started (some observed
situations; there will be agencies that were in time to start right
after the release)

Extending support officially will be an extra burden for the
contributors and extension developers.
If agencies need extra time with 4.5 they could organize to hire someone
to do the backports of security issues and prepare releases. These
should however be marked as unofficial versions.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!