[TYPO3-about] community continuous and interactive communication

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Sun Sep 15 21:07:49 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 15-9-2013 16:19, Ben van 't Ende wrote:
> manager. I really like G+ for several reasons. It has several advantages
> to FB and Twitter. There are several things that are impossible with
> these social media. What I want to achieve is to have a better
> interaction with the community and both from me to the community, vice
> versa and also interactivity for the community itself.

I communicating about publications, etc. you want to reach as many
people as possible. Restricting to a single platform leaves out a large
part of the community.
The beauty of our forum / newsgroups / mailing lists is that these are
completely synchronized. Person 1 likes to post something on a forum and
gets a reply from person 2 who prefers newsgroups.

Anything that's in the news, buzz, or similar should be shouted about on
Twitter, Facebook, Google+, forum, and as many other platforms as possible.

> There will be a first trial integrating Disqus on docs.typo3.org if I
> understood that correctly.

Comments on docs.typo3.org are really different to me. It's more about
being able to add something interesting (examples, more information) to
what's in the documentation. For questions and support I'd like to see a
link to the appropriate forum.

It was about comments on news, buzz, pages, etcetera I would also rather
put a link to the appropriate forum.

> There is tool we discussed at the typo3.org code
> sprint called Discourse (discourse.org) which claims to be a modern,
> sustainable, fully open-source Internet discussion platform both from a
> technology standpoint and a sociology standpoint. That sounds perfect.
> Ubuntu is doing a test run with it and the adoption rate seems high.
> Even though we can host that on our own infra-structure and it is Open
> Source, it's beta nature might be a disadvantage and that might also go
> for the fact that it is not PHP. Another alternative is creating it
> ourselves, but that has the disadvantage that that will take some time.

There is already a discussion about this in another list. No use to
repeat it here I guess.

> * Do you have an opinion on what tools would be appropriate?

The best combination would be that small notifications about subjects
are distributed on as many platforms as possible, but that the actual
publications and discussions are done in a central place.
It's quite a task to keep up with a couple of mailing lists, Twitter and
a bit on Facebook, but adding Google+, Disqus and many other platforms
is a bit too much even if you only want to keep an eye on a few subjects.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!