[TYPO3-about] Sourceforge spamming download packages with crapware

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Wed Sep 4 10:02:46 CEST 2013

Philipp Gampe schrieb am 28.08.2013 18:07:

> Steffen Gebert wrote:
>
>> IMHO we should keep an eye on it, how it is going on and maybe find a
>> different place for our releases (let it be Github or self-hosted).
>
> IMHO the best way would be to get on the mirrors list of some universities
> like many bigger open source projects do.
> Or some companies could sponsor some traffic, like already done for the TER
> mirrors?!?
>
> Looking at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/typo3/files/stats/timeline?dates=2013-01-01%20to%202013-08-28
>
> We already had >420.000 downloads this year. With an average files size of
> 50MB this is an estimated traffic of 21TB.
> This estimated is a big too big, but should not be that far off. Also I do
> not know for sure how much traffic Neos and Flow generate.

Before getting sponsors to provide traffic and machines we also need to
consider that someone (server team) has then to create a workflow to
maintain these machines, create scripts to distribute the files, care
about downtimes, sync problems etc.

Currently the workflow for the release team is pretty easy, as we simply
drop the files through SFTP at SF.net and it takes care of everything else.

So if we are to change this, we might want to first consider some other
(existing) distribution channel before creating "our own".

My personal opinion is that some peoples reaction is over-dramatizing
this event. It's an opt-in choice of the project to include or not the
Ask.com-Installer (and probably only for Windows projects anyway) and I
find it just fair that a huge project like SF.net try to reach out for
some other ways of making profit. I cannot see how this affects the
TYPO3 packages in any way.

Kind regards,
Ernesto