[TYPO3-50-general] New pages, a roadmap and more news ...

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Sep 29 12:02:05 CEST 2006

Robert Lemke schrieb:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Martin Kutschker schrieb:
>
>> Robert Lemke schrieb:
>>

>>> In the pipeline: After some brainstorming Karsten is now preparing an
>>> initial draft for our coding guidelines. I imagine that we even have
>>> something like a coding style guide and a glossary which helps you
>>> choosing the right names for variables, class names etc.
>>

>> Does this mean *everything* will be written from scratch?
>

> Some components will be written from the scratch (like the Data Access
> Component) others will likely be started from the scratch but then
> filled or connected with code from the TYPO3 4.x branch (code
> recycling). I propose that we try to recycle as much code as possible to
> get started more quickly and then refactor it.
>

> About the coding guidelines: The goal is to build a TYPO3 version which
> is as intuitive as possible for the developer. Imagine you have to
> create a variable which contains something like a title - then you have
> to decide if you call it "title", "label", "description", ... whatever.
> It would help a lot if everywhere in TYPO3 the same names are used for
> the same items, maybe a glossary is a good solution to enforce that.
>
> Anyway, it won't be possible to have a clean 5.0 from the start - but at
> least we have to define the direction.

I'm much in favour of naming guidelines but we all know that the current
code is in this regard a mess.

Perhaps it can be solved by a number of references to old-style names.
Should IMHO be possible (eg $this->old &= $this->new). When surrouned by
proper and standardized comments they may be removed automatically by a script.

Masi